top of page

Toxic Plants...What you should know.

Florida is a beautiful state with a diverse range of plant life, but unfortunately, some of these plants can be toxic to pets, including dogs and cats. It's essential to be aware of which plants can be harmful to your furry friends and take precautions to keep them safe. In this blog post, we'll cover some of the most common plants found in Florida that can be dangerous to pets.

  1. Sago Palm: The Sago Palm is a popular ornamental plant in Florida, but it's also one of the most toxic plants to pets. All parts of the plant are toxic, but the seeds or "nuts" are the most dangerous. Ingesting even a small amount can cause liver failure in dogs and cats, which can be fatal.

  2. Oleander: Oleander is a beautiful flowering shrub that is commonly used for landscaping in Florida. However, all parts of the plant are highly toxic to pets, and ingestion can lead to severe heart problems, including death.

  3. Azalea and Rhododendrons: Azaleas and Rhododendrons are popular ornamental plants that produce beautiful flowers. However, all parts of these plants contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death in pets.

  4. Lilies: Several types of lilies are toxic to pets, including Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, and Daylilies. Ingestion can cause kidney failure, and even a small amount of these plants can be deadly.

  5. Amaryllis: The Amaryllis is a beautiful plant that produces large, showy flowers, but it's toxic to pets. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

  6. Dumb Cane: Dumb Cane is a popular houseplant that is also found in Florida. It's toxic to pets and can cause severe irritation of the mouth and throat, as well as difficulty breathing.

  7. Philodendron: The Philodendron is a common houseplant that is toxic to pets. Ingestion can cause irritation of the mouth and throat, as well as vomiting and diarrhea.

These are just a few of the plants found in Florida that can be harmful to pets. Other toxic plants include the Castor Bean, the Yew, and the Dieffenbachia. If you suspect that your pet has ingested any of these plants, contact your veterinarian immediately. If possible, try to bring a sample of the plant with you to help with identification.


By taking precautions and being vigilant, you can help keep your furry friends safe and healthy.

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page